Home Forums Movies 2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 4)

2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 393 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
9 hours ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
willd
Luca Giliberti
wattsgold
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue the Best Actress discussion here in Part 4.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Will she though? This year seems too crowded for a literal no-name to break into one of the most competitive races.

Not that Damy is a no name but that is exactly what they said in 2013. Awardsdaily was calling best actress 5 locked after TIFF. There was no way Supporting Damy could ever break through! Look at all these big names and legends. She has no chance all!

And then she got nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Not that Damy is a no name but that is exactly what they said in 2013. Awardsdaily was calling best actress 5 locked after TIFF. There was no way Supporting Damy could ever break through! Look at all these big names and legends. She has no chance all! And then she got nominated.

Amy Adams was a four-time previous nominee though and she wasn’t a character actress leaping to Lead Actress status (not that Aparicio is a character actress but anyway) she had already lead several successful films in her career. So the comparison is not fair to either party. Also, the five nominees are not locked imo there is a huge competition for the 4th and 5th slots (I think the only most likely nominees are Colman, Davis, and Gaga). So between realistic contenders like Blunt, Close, Jones, Layne, McCarthy. And pipe dreams like Collette, Gyllenhaal,  Hahn, Kidman, Pike, Roberts. I don’t see Yalitza Aparicio prevailing as the one to beat all these women.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

With so many actresses to choose from I am convinced that later release dates will wind up being helpful to their chances this year. Once the critics start chiming in with their year end nominations things will get much clearer. The ones that I am unclear about right now are Saoirse Ronan, Kiki Layne and Nicole Kidman – how much critical buzz will they get and will it be enough to alter the Best Actress lineup? Also: will great performances by Carey Mulligan, Melanie Thierry and Johanna Kulig be helped enough by potential nominations from various critics organizations? Time will tell…

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

The ones that I am unclear about right now are Saoirse Ronan, Kiki Layne and Nicole Kidman – how much critical buzz will they get and will it be enough to alter the Best Actress lineup?

Unless Mary Queen of Scots is a critical darling I don’t think Saoirse will get in. I’m sorry but the comparison has to be made between the more risk-bearing and artistic: The Favourite and the predictable formulaic: Mary Queen of Scots. I think ampas will go for the former and choose Olivia Colman.

If the Best Actress category was weak or without frontrunners I would include Saoirse because we know she is loved by critics, hfpa and ampas but I just think the category this year is way too crowded for two queen roles. I would say that Colman, Close and Gaga are almost locked for a nom that leaves only 2 places for so many big name actresses. It’s going to be a tough category for sure and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the lineup of 5 slots vary a lot between each televised award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve listened to almost every awards podcast out there, watched many interviews and even watched glimpses of the Britannia awards: the amount of people who said that Viola is one of the best actresses of our time is just incredible. She just has to get in, she has to.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Why is everyone so sure Nicole Kidman won’t be nominated? Am I missing something here?

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

Why is everyone so sure Nicole Kidman won’t be nominated? Am I missing something here?

Because this category is incredibly stacked and her movie isn’t one that will resonate with voters, unfortunately. Supposedly, it’s a slow, gritty, dark and depressing movie with a “unlikeable” female lead. Believe me, I hate the one to be saying this, for many reasons:

– I hate genre bias. Why shouldn’t a performance in a movie like this not get attention? Because there’s too much action? Please.

– I don’t know what “unlikeable” means, and it’s one of the most overused terms – and it’s mostly used when talking about female characters.

I hope she makes it, because she looks incredible in “Destroyer.”

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Because this category is incredibly stacked and her movie isn’t one that will resonate with voters, unfortunately. Supposedly, it’s a slow, gritty, dark and depressing movie with a “unlikeable” female lead. Believe me, I hate the one to be saying this, for many reasons: – I hate genre bias. Why shouldn’t a performance in a movie like this not get attention? Because there’s too much action? Please. – I don’t know what “unlikeable” means, and it’s one of the most overused terms – and it’s mostly used when talking about female characters. I hope she makes it, because she looks incredible in “Destroyer.”

I see… In my opinion, Olivia Colman is the only lock. I won’t be surprised if Glenn(hope not) and Gaga(hope so) are snubbed. So, there are 4 (mostly) open spots to me and Nicole’s role is extremely baity, I think she can do that.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly I would rejoice if Lady Gaga was left off the nominees list for Best Actress. She gives a good performance but not a great one, her inexperience as an actress shows in several scenes making her performance uneven and not worthy of a nomination. I know others adore her and we all know that the older white males in the academy favor younger pretty actresses (usually though in the Supporting Actress category, although sometimes in the lead category) so I am not expecting it but sure would be happy if they were sensible and chose from the great performances on offer from others this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Competition is fierce – but I for one have her at the fifth slot. I’m fairly certain we are underestimating the amount of industry love she has on her side and the fact the Academy loves comebacks by living legends.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

Just my opinion:

Some of you don’t think she is worthy of a nomination, and that’s fine, that’s your opinion. But, I do think you’re underestimated the respect she has within the industry. I recently came across an interview with the producers of the Oscars, they raved about Gaga’s work ethic and talent saying “Lady Gaga is staggering. She’s the real deal she can do anything.” They mentioned how in awe they were about her spent 6 months everyday with a vocal coach working on the music tribute. Per usual everyone has misaligned expectations or preconceived notions about who Gaga is and then she always works hard to do something different with her talent. I liken her momentum as almost a “comeback narrative”. She’s been in the entertainment business for more than 10 years, everyone knows everyone, it’s a small world there. Her star power and notoriety was arguably dwindling but now she’s back to almost her peak after the sound of music tribute, super bowl and now this.

I’m not trying to butter Gaga up but I predict that those within the industry  and ampas will see past her imperfect performance and recognise her hard work and her achievement with at least the best actress nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Competition is fierce – but I for one have her at the fifth slot. I’m fairly certain we are underestimating the amount of industry love she has on her side and the fact the Academy loves comebacks by living legends.

Yes, people are underestimating how beloved Kidman is by the industry. Her “Big Little Lies” sweep last year against a very strong competition is a proof that they love her. And she plays the game.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Just my opinion: Some of you don’t think she is worthy of a nomination, and that’s fine, that’s your opinion. But, I do think you’re underestimated the respect she has within the industry. I recently came across an interview with the producers of the Oscars, they raved about Gaga’s work ethic and talent saying “Lady Gaga is staggering. She’s the real deal she can do anything.” They mentioned how in awe they were about her spent 6 months everyday with a vocal coach working on the music tribute. Per usual everyone has misaligned expectations or preconceived notions about who Gaga is and then she always works hard to do something different with her talent. I liken her momentum as almost a “comeback narrative”. She’s been in the entertainment business for more than 10 years, everyone knows everyone, it’s a small world there. Her star power and notoriety was arguably dwindling but now she’s back to almost her peak after the sound of music tribute, super bowl and now this. I’m not trying to butter Gaga up but I predict that those within the industry and ampas will see past her imperfect performance and recognise her hard work and her achievement with at least the best actress nom.

The reason why Gaga will probably get it is how much the media loves to hype her and all the extensive campaigning. She’s got a great manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

The reason why Gaga will probably get it is how much the media loves to hype her and all the extensive campaigning. She’s got a great manager.

Well lucky for you I don’t think she’s going to be campaigning that extensively because her Las Vegas residency runs all throughout award season.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.